North Carolina School for the Blind and Deaf
One of the earliest public education facilities in Raleigh was the
N.C. School for the Blind and Deaf (1848) located two
blocks north-west of the capital and not located at
the Governor Morehead School.
Plaque at the main entrance to the building.
Located on 216 W. Jones St. in Raleigh
Photo courtesy of Michael Zirkle Photography
Raleigh Historic Districts Commission
Architect Frank P. Milburn designed this Chateauesque building that stands
Caswell Square, one of the five public squares in the original 1792 plan for
Raleigh. The dormitory comprises a hip-roofed main block with parapeted
gable projections and engaged towers. The only survivor from the campus
of the first state-supported school for the blind and deaf in North
Carolina, it is
currently used by the
Division of the
North Carolina Department of
Cornerstone located at the southeast corner.
Building is also known as the Health Building
A Chronology of North Carolina State
Schools Serving the Deaf and the Blind
(as listed on page 5 of the NCSD 100th Anniversary pamphlet)