Buildings Then and Now
This page is an expanded version of page 12 of our yearbook.
Currently the east wing is now housed by
Morganton's Regional Resource Center under the auspices of
NC DHHS serving 13
counties. The west wing is housed by the
NC Vocational Rehab.
Intervention is housed in the middle wing. (Info provided by John
Previously was used as a
Recreation Center for the Deaf and
Hard of Hearing - Jimmy Autrey
(Webmaster's note: presumably by the Morganton Division of Parks
and Recreation Department).
Hoey Hall aka Upper School
Built in 1939 (renovations currently in
progress). After the Great Fire of West Hall on the same
site, the bricks from
West Hall were used to construct Hoey Building. After it was completed, it
was still named West Hall when NC Governor Clyde Hoey designated emergency funds
the new school, henceforth renamed after the Governor - Jim Autrey
The cafeteria of Hoffmeyer Hall was
oftentimes used for Sports, Jr/Sr Banquets as well as
McCord Building aka SUB (Student Union
Completed in 1967, the top floor was used for
the girls physical education and the bottom floor
was used for various student
functions. It also had two bowling lanes which made NCSD the
only school in the
good ole US of A that has bowling lanes on campus - Jimmy Autrey
Click here to read
about the McCord Building's dedication, one of Dr. Hoffmeyer's last
official duties as Superintendent.
Underhill Gymnasium aka New Gym
Before the McCord Building was built, a lot
of student functions were held in the basement.
Return to Previous Page. Go to the
first bonus page of
The Buildings Then & Now series.>>>
This page was last updated on